- JSTS Wants You! We have an acute need for Ride Leaders to lead all paces & all days for the 2016 road season. Please consider helping fill this essential role. Questions/ comments/ to volunteer- email Barb Bennett or David Lee.
- The New Jersey Bike and Walk Coalition's Summit 2016 takes place on February 27th. The event promises a "full day of cycling and walking advocacy, networking, sharing of ideas and bridging gaps across New Jersey communities."
- This year's Souper Sunday is scheduled to take place on March 12th. Details to follow.
- The club is in need of one or more volunteer(s) to coordinate the annual Champagne Ride to kick off the new season on April 17th. If interested, contact David Lee.
- See the Frostbite 2015 Results (here). Rules & Details.
Remember, sharing the road is a two-way street!
1) Cyclists are now required to STOP for pedestrians in crosswalks. This is the same requirement as for any other vehicle, changed from the former Yield.
2) Car back.... CAR BACK!!!
It's heard many times... What does it mean, and what are we supposed to do? While NJ DOT operating regulations require us to travel no more than two abreast when traffic is not impeded, when a car is approaching from the rear we should move to the right and ride single-file so that the car can safely and easily pass. Even if there is plenty of room for the car to go around, we should ride single-file until the car passes. This is where sharing the road comes in and works two ways. Read the full text of the NJ DOT operating regulations for cyclists here.
3) Helmets: more than a matter of style...
We all know about the importance of wearing a helmet while riding (for one thing, the club won't let you ride along without a helmet). But did you know that the protection a helmet provides is greatly reduced if it isn't worn properly? Click here to read what the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration has to say about how to properly fit a bicycle helmet.
Find Useful Cycling Info in the DOT NJ Bicycling Manual.
More information about Safe Group Riding...